Sunday, October 12, 2008

LACK OF VOTING DOES NOT LEAD TO DEATH

It seems that voting is the new trend. Celebrities have made poverty cool with the One campaign. Darfur became important for a few minutes. AIDS? I'm inspiRED. Or am i?

The problem with these campaigns is that as soon as the commercials are over, people stop caring. If there are no bracelets to wear or fresh tees to rock, what's the point?

Could campaigns to get the younger generations to vote be just another commercial break between materialism and selfishness?

How do we get people to care?
More importantly, what makes people CONTINUE to care?

Sean P. Diddy Daddy Jean's "Vote or Die" campaign had mixed reviews on its ability to attract younger voters.  (Side note: for all you GW kids out there, this article from 2004 mentions GW!)


Now Mr. Leonardo is trying a different approach. Don't vote! Who cares? Don't do it! Who gives a shit?! 

In my opinion, brilliant. I love it. It really do. It just makes the concept of voting so...simple. I mean alright, I might not change the face of America single handedly. But I do care about something. Anything. Even one thing. Even if I just care about me. 

I think I love this campaign because after you watch the commercial, you can't really make a strong argument against it. They give you the counter argument first. Everything you would say against voting, well they beat you to it. (It's kind of like that scene from 8-mile when Rabbit calls himself out during a freestyle battle for living with his mom before his opponent could hate on him for it). 

Then they take your excuses and just make them seem...silly. 

Vote or Die? I prefer, Vote, Why the Fuck not?

jmj

No comments: