Monday, June 23, 2008

MTV debuted Shawty Lo's "Foolish Remix"

I may wind up eating my words on this one because sometimes songs need to grow on me, and I'd be dissing a serious candidate for The 2008 Summer Joint, but something's missing.



High octane beat? Check. Heavy cadence characteristic of southern hip hop that make you nod your head like a narcoleptic? Check. Party time spirit? Uh huh. Collabo with DJ Khaled? Yep. CAMEOS BY WEEZY F. BABY, Rick Ross and Jim Jones?! YEAH IT'S FUCKING THERE. So what's wrong? All the elements and important name dropping are there, yet something is amiss.

The whole argument of hip hop being dead is approaching the "fact" line, but what can recucitate hip hop's waning cred is putting the emphasis back on a tight flow. I'm on Shawty Lo's adversary, T.I.'s side. I really believe T.I.P when he proclaims himself the King of the South, because he has all these elements (except not as much name dropping, because fuck you T.I. doesn't need anyone) AND lyrics/flow that really make you say "wow, can't fuck with this guy. he really is the southern hip hopasaurus rex." Whatever happened to rapping TO the beat? And if it's a banging beat, you really can't go wrong. Don't get lost in the flash and the bling. Imagine if Shawty Lo had a really tight flow? This song would be absolutely MIND BLOWING.


I really want to like this song, I do. But lack of flow is keeping me from fully committing to lending my approval. All I'm saying is a little less flossy flossy, and a little more flow. Is that too much to ask for?

No comments: